Karen's Page

Welcome to Karen's Page, a web page intended to keep Karen's family and friends informed about her cancer. Karen, age 40, has a rare form of cancer called Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. She and her husband Tom have 2 children ages 4 and 7.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Hi everyone!

My computer has been acting very strangely for a couple of weeks now. So, it's been a while since I've been on the blog. Hello to all of our friends! Here's the latest. I had chemo yesterday - round 5! I'm almost half way - yippee! The neuropathy (cold sensitivity in fingers) is worse this time. Just washing my hands make them tingle - yuck. So, I'm wearing my gloves more often.

Tom took the boys camping to a Vintage Airstream rally. I wanted to go, but it's supposed to be cold and maybe rainy. I figured that the chemo effects will be settling by then, anyway, so opted to stay home in my nice warm, comfy house. Tom will reconnect with some old friends there. Most of them haven't seen Tucker since he was 2-3 yrs. old and have never met Hudson, so it should be fun. They will get spoiled by many adopted grandparents there! There a car museum close by, so there will be something to do if it rains. I packed coats, hats and mittens.

We went up into the mountains last weekend and enjoyed a snowball fight together! It was so fun to see the pure joy the boys had with the snow. We live in a desert and rarely get to see snow. It snowed pretty heavily last weekend, so we packed up and went. We built a tiny snowman and they "body surfed" down a small snowy hill (we don't own sleds). I was enjoying watching them so much, that I didn't want to leave. The wind picked up, however, and the boys were wet so we went home. They want to got back ASAP!

I found a support group through an agency called Gilda' club in Cathedral City. If you know anyone with cancer, or is a caregiver, or even has a friend with cancer - they can join the club. The club is free and so are all of their services. They have support groups for cancer patients in treatment, cancer patients 1 or more years post treatment and one for caregivers of cancer patients. They also have a great group for children whose parents, grandparents, etc... have cancer. They also have fun things like painting with water colors, quilting, knitting, yoga, tai chi, and relaxation classes. It's really great, so I would encourage anyone to look in to it. It's a great environment as well.

Well, I'm looking forward to my quiet weekend. I can stay in bed as long as I want and not feel guilty! I would much rather be camping, but it's nice to be home alone as well. I have lots of leftovers in the refrigerator, so I will be all right.

My next chemo is March 30th. I have been struggling with anemia and may need an iron infusion. We'll see. I'm trying to take the iron orally, but my constant battle with constipation may make the infusion necessary.

Love to you all.
Love,
Karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home