Karen's Page

Welcome to Karen's Page, a web page intended to keep Karen's family and friends informed about her cancer. Karen, age 40, has a rare form of cancer called Pseudomyxoma Peritonei. She and her husband Tom have 2 children ages 4 and 7.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Feeling pretty good!

Hello Friends,
I just wanted to let you know that this last round of chemo (5th) has gone pretty well. For the first time since I started, I did not get anemic! Yippee! I guess I didn't realize how much the anemia was adding to the chemo effects. I wasn't terribly anemic, so didn't think it could make such a difference. But, apparently it does. My doctor had encouraged me to take more iron, which I had been hesitant to do. Those who know me very well (and if you've read this entire blog from the beginning - you do), I struggle with constipation, so did not want to take extra iron or vitamins. But, I think I'm finding a concoction that works for me. I take fiber pills, eat high fiber cereal and foods, and take stool softeners. Holy cow. I've never taken so many pills in my life. I know I should do this all the natural way, but when your appetite isn't so great, it's just easier to take a pill. So, I take the iron. My other alternative is to get extra iron through my infusion when I get my chemo. I may still do this if the constipation gets too bad, or I get tired of fighting it.

My next chemo is this Thursday. Hopefully I will still be not anemic and it will go fine.

I did feel really tired today, so laid down for a while. I woke up 2 1/2 hours later!!! I guess I was more tired than I thought. Oh well.

All the boys are doing great. Hudson broke his wrist about 2 weeks ago - did I mention it? He's doing fine, though it's feeling better so he doesn't feel he needs his splint anymore. Tucker has started his baseball games. He got some pregame jitters during his first game, but did well. This year will be a huge learning year for him. The kids are pitching now, so he has to learn what a good pitch to swing at is. Tom is busy busy busy. Jack, the dog, is only getting stronger and smarter. I think he's smarter than I am. What to do?

That's it for now. I have to go pick up the kids. I love to do that.

Love,
Karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home